[复制链接]

主题

回帖

积分

新手上路

积分
QQ
发表于 2015-9-28 20:59:55 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
很多人一听说BYU是魔门教的大学,就用异样的眼光来对待。实际上我刚开始接触的时候也是感觉怪怪的,但是由于我陶瓷的所有教授中,只有BYU的教授的回复最积极,还说要帮我申奖学金,至于能不能申上,还需要我俩一起写很多proposal, 感觉老师太nice了。但是现在,我觉得其实这所学校也没有想象中的那么奇怪,也可能是时间长了再加上老师的感化和心里作用吧。

BYU的一个特殊的地方就是会有一个教会的面试,主要是问问你对他们列出的教规是否熟悉。比如说不能喝酒咖啡茶,男生和女生的发型不能太张扬,女生穿着不能太暴漏之类,其实都是一些很正常的规定,唯一我觉得奇怪的地方就是不能喝茶。我在网上只搜到两个关于这个面试的经验分享,所以觉得有必要把我今天刚刚面试的情况和后来的人们分享一下。

我是今天下午准备了一下午稿子,一共准备了三个问题,基本上都用到了:
1. Why do you choose BYU?
Because Prof xxx’s current research matches mine nicely. We have discussed through emails on our common interests. During this process, I learned details about his current work and future plans, he is also interested in my research background and encouraged me to apply. I think this is the most important reason to choose BYU.

2. What do you think about the honor code?
The main purpose of the honor code is to lead people’s life to the right direction. In fact, the honor code reminds me of my high school life. Because most high schools in china also have similar principles, like the requirement of hairstyles, forbidden to drink alcohol, and so on. I think it will not be a problem for me to follow the honor code.

3. Do you have any questions about the honor code?
Actually yes. According to the requirement of Ecclesiastical Endorsement on BYU’s web site, all applicants should also have an interview with the local bishop. But I find it is really very hard for me to find a local bishop in where I live. Do I still need that interview in order to complete my application?

感觉犹他的时差真是太不爽了,他们那里的工作时间9:00am - 4:00pm正好对应的是北京时间12:00am - 7:00am,由于早上起不来,所以定的是晚上12点。我下午准备了一下午稿子,晚上7:00到10:00还要带实验课的助教,回到家从10点多开始就一直和老婆一起排练,这一练才发现原来我的口语真是烂到了极点。没办法,从11:30开始,就最在电脑前,右手握着手机,左手端着存放着稿子的ipad,电脑里打开的是百度词典,紧张的等着。很准时,11:56电话响起,来电显示+1开头的电话,确定是米国来的,然后示意老婆开始录音,接起了电话...

由于录音只能录到我自己的声音,所以Chaplain大概问的啥我只能凭印象了...
Chaplain:Hello. 开始没有听太清,但是感觉不是很重要
Me:Hello, you must be Mr. XX,right?
Chaplain:Yes,然后是笑。How are you today?
Me:I’m fine,and you?
Chaplain:I'm OK, thank you。问我申的是undergraduate 还是 graduate
Me:Graduate school
Chaplain:问我申的是什么program
Me:I‘m applying to the Phd program。
Chaplain:问我是如何听说BYU的
Me:In fact I hear about BYU by searching papers in the area of my research, I found that Prof. xxx's papers interests me very much.
Chaplain: 问我和那个教授联系过没有
Me:Yes, we have discussed through emails for many times about our common interests and he encouraged me to apply.
Chaplain:这个关于教规的面世对他们很重,问我是否读过了教规
me: Yes, of course, I've read it.
Chaplain:问我对教规有什么问题没?
Me:Actually I have a little question about the requirement of Ecclesiastical Endorsement on BYU’s web site, it says that all applicants should also have an interview with the local bishop. But I find it is really very hard for me to find a local bishop in where I live. Do I still need that interview in order to complete my application?
Chaplain:大意是中国很大,但是魔门教很少,说我跟他面世完了后,就不需要别的面试了。
Me:Ok, thank you,I’ve got it。
Chaplain:问我还有没有别的问题
Me:Actually I don't have any other questions about it,but I would like to say that the honor code reminds me of my high school life. Because most high schools in china also have similar principles, like the requirement of hairstyles, forbidden to drink alcohol, and so on. I think it will not be a problem for me to follow the honor code if I could be addmitted.
Chaplain:blablabla, 没听懂
Me:Pardon?I didn't catch you.
Chaplain:又说了一遍,可能是问我现在的生活是否和教规一致。
Me:Yes,I seldom drink alcohol, and I seldom drink tea too.(被打断)
Chaplain:他会今天签字,然后blablabla,没听懂
Me:Thank you,that would be great。
Chaplain:一些祝福的话,bye bye
Me:Bye。

总共历时5分12秒。我英语很烂,听力也很烂,大家应该看出来了,但是还是希望能给以后需要Ecclesiastical Endorsement面试的同学提供一些经验。
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表